keskiviikko 22. huhtikuuta 2015

STATUS ABNORMIS



Who are you and what do you do in your band?

I am Nikke and I lead the choir, play glitchy guitar parts and export my thoughts to sounds to use as background ambience. 

My name is Joke and I play the bass guitar, scream and come up with additional backing track material and intros.

My name is Antti Teirioja, I play drums and write the lyrics.

I'm Jere, and I play guitar and spout some sort of vocals. 

When/where was your band formed? 

Nikke: It started as my silent soloproject on 2009ish. We started to play as a band in late summer 2011.

Why did you choose to play Death Metal?

Nikke:I don't know if we are any near of traditional Death metal but I guess some of our riffs and parts have pretty death metal kind of colors in them. People are calling our style as Industrial Deathrash something. Even I don't know... 

Joke: I was a angry death metal nerd as a teenager, indentifying with the brutality of the genre, and I learned my (poor) techical playing skills going through those maggotry riffs. Then coming out of puberty Nikke asked me to join the band, which I did despite the fact I had moved forward in my musical journey. Lately I've been stumbling on great bands that could be called death metal and it has revived my enthusiasm. I guess it's the second puberty hitting.

Jere: I guess we all had our intimiate relationships with death metal years back. I think this band has a solid base on death but a great lot of other influences are built on top of it. 

How do you compose your music? Does only one guy do everything or does everyone contribute?

Nikke: Well I have been the main composer these years but every protosong gets a whole new form when we start to arrange them together so everybody brings something in. 

Tell us about your lyrics, writing, inspiration etc.

Nikke: To me inspiration can be state of mind, emotion or feeling that I have to handle with something. Weather, sound, some sort of event from my near past or future. Everything overally can give me the spark. It depends.  

Antti: The lyrics of Status Abnormis songs deal mostly with the dark side of humanity. Apocalyptic themes, fear, hate and general self-loathing are quite common. My writing process is pretty much listening the demo versions of our songs over and over again, trying to find out what they want to say and conveying that as honestly as I can. It's a slow and sometimes frustrating process but I think it's worth it.

Is there an ideology behind your band?

Antti: I don't know if it's even possible to have a common ideology since our tastes are so different. Maybe we are just four guys in a band and the songs are simply a product of that interaction.

Joke: Although our personal ideologies leak through here and there when the social tension acknowledges those ideas to be polyharmonic.

How do you see the state of Death Metal music these days in your country and in general?

Nikke: Call me an asshole but I think it has lost it's edge. I might be ignorant because I don't listen too much newer metal music nowadays. Bloodbath is still great! 

Joke: There's shit and there's shit made gold. As I wrote earlier there's something good happening.

Jere: Digging deep enough into the shitdungeon will reward you highly.    

What are your long term plans as a band? What do you want to achieve?

Nikke: To me it is to make music with good goofy friends. Some sort of tour could be awesome of course! 

Antti: New albums, gigs, fearless musical exploration.

Jere: Going with the flow and hoping it will reward us in gigs and rad collaborations with cool people, bands and venues. 

Name an other Death Metal band from your country that everyone should hear.

Nikke: I'd say that our friends in Raster Density should get some more recognition! 

Joke: Obscure Burial

Antti: Casket Soil make quality shit, check them out.

Jere: Not quite death but Hävitys dbeat hunger. 

Free word.

Nikke: Our second Diy Full lenght album is coming out hopefully soon enough.  Go and check those two songs which we already put out in youtube and stay tuned. Next gig is at Hevimesta, Oulu april 25th. Come to check out our live appearance.

Jere: Check our band out, subscribe to Facebook & Youtube, spread the word, invite us to play.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti