keskiviikko 12. elokuuta 2015

SCREAMS OF DEIMOS


 Who are you and what do you do in your band?

My name is Jeff Longo & I am one of the two guitarists in Screams of Deimos.

When/where was your band formed? 

We formed in Oshawa, Ontario during the year 2014; probably around June or so.  Screams of Deimos is comprised of members of a few bands from the region that somewhat went into hiatus or fell apart; so the guys that wanted to continue making brutal death-grind came together into this much stronger force.

Why did you choose to play Death Metal?

Death metal is in my anima, it is as the air I breathe and the food I eat; without death metal, I would not have survived through the misery of life over the past 25 years.  I can't remember why I chose to start playing death metal, but that was back in 1992 or 1993, roughly.  When I first heard death metal, it just called out to me - I felt reborn by the energy it created in me.  I am only speaking on behalf of myself, of course.  I'm sure all the guys in Screams of Deimos have their own stories on why death metal and grind-core entered their lives.  We all are extremely fond of and proud of classic death metal.  For me; there is no other options.  Death metal guitar riffs are the way I communicate with this cruel universe.  

How do you compose your music? Does only one guy do everything or does everyone contribute?

Personally, I go into my basement and grind out riffs at random on my guitar for a couple hours; and whatever comes out that makes me feel that mighty, grinding and powerful state of body and mind is what I keep and commit to paper and ProTools.  Then, I compose some rough drum patterns on the riffs, or skeletons of songs and send them on to the guys in the band to see if it is something that we can work on.  Everyone in this band writes songs and contributes equally.  We all start songs at home on our own and bring them into the jam room to be crafted into full numbers; with everyone's energy and inspirations in them.  Having 5 writers in the band is amazing; it really offers some interesting dynamics between the songs and there is no shortage of material - we're planning on releasing two EP's in 2015.  We're starting to record #1 right now.

Tell us about your lyrics, writing, inspiration etc.

The lyrics are various and are of the same inspiration as the riffs and music.  There are lyrics about mythology, outer space, human emotions (mainly anger and disgust)…   Our singer, Conrad; he takes a somewhat different approach to his lyrics and vocal patterns.  He sounds like a guttural, brutal death metal singer - but his state of mind and lyrical approach are more akin to say, Sick of it all or hardcore bands of the like.  You know?  It is pretty interesting - he's unique, in my opinion; to the death metal vocalist approach.  Gregg (other guitarist) is the other "main" lyricist in the band and his lyrics are more in line with mythology and the cosmos.  It's kinda neat.  

Is there an ideology behind your band?

Yes; grind.

How do you see the state of Death Metal music these days in your country and in general?

I think death metal is awesome, the genre and the scene.  It has never been better.  I've been at this since 1993 and I honestly can say that it is still just as great as it was back then.  

What are your long term plans as a band? What do you want to achieve?

Honestly, I would say the main goal for this band is to have fun making the music that we love, classic death metal.  We love writing, recording and playing gigs.  We hope to play as many gigs in as many places as we are welcome to.  

Name an other Death Metal band from your country that everyone should hear.

Blastomycosis, Bastard Son, Deamon, Conquer, Ataxia - mother fucking Ataxia; they are monsters.  Watch out for them.  Ontario is a hot bed for some seriously crushing death metal and we really love it; it is a great scene here.  The unborn Dead were incredible too, from Toronto - they are on a hiatus, I hope they come back.  They are worth checking out for sure.  They have a couple albums out there.  We just played a show with a band from For Erie as well; unfortunately  I can't remember their name but they really showed promise.  They're young and new at it…   I hope they stick around.  

Free word

Get rich or die grinding.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti